Saturday, June 21, 2008

Coop Scoop

Here's the chicken coop! My Dad built it, loosely based on the Poulet Chalet from this book. Andrew and I assembled it this afternoon, and managed to do so with only one extra piece left over (a mystery which was solved by a quick phone call to Dad). It's so great. Now we have to decide how to paint it. We're thinking of matching it to our house which has happy, crazy colors. Anyway, I'm so glad to have chickens out of the house and outside where they are about a billion times happier. Whenever one of them gets a worm, they run around with it held high, chirping all over the place. I've been trying to tell them to just shut about it, since it attracts the other chickens who then try to steal it, but so far no one is listening.



I haven't been doing much crafting lately, which is silly since I have a show coming up in a week or so. But I have been cooking a lot, since our CSA is in full swing. We've been picking amazing strawberries, and have already made one batch of fantastic sorbet. But the thing I love the most about being a part of a CSA is finding vegetables that I wouldn't otherwise know what to do with. Take, for instance, the garlic scape.
A beautiful, unruly part of the garlic plant that I never new was edible...or even that it existed, for that matter. But we picked some of these up and so I had to figure out what to do with them.
You'll be shocked to know that this wacky looking thing that you've probably never heard of is sort of a new veggie that people are just getting into. I couldn't even find anything on them at epicurious. I did do some research and found some pesto recipes, frittata recipes, and ways to saute the scapes the looked good. I like this pesto recipe because it uses walnuts. We made a batch with toasted pine nuts since we were out of walnuts and lemon juice. I'll spare you the green goo picture, but suffice it to say, it's yummy and can be spread on lots of things. Here's an interesting frittata recipe (which I'll have to eat all by myself since Andrew won't do the egg thing), and I might try this soup (scroll all the way down) someday - - which was actually the first thing I thought of doing with the scapes when I was trying to figure out what the heck to do with them. Or maybe I'll just keep them in the fridge, because they are so darn cool to look at.

No comments:

made. by k.d.