Thursday, January 15, 2009

Because what else would you do

with your chicken's first eggs but gild them?
I bought the materials to gild some drawings in my China journal (which I still haven't put up on the blog, have I?) but then lost track of the project when school started. Thank goodness I had it on hand because I REALLY needed to blow out the first eggs and make them pretty. And, oh my, is gilding fun. It's that same satisfying process as taking a shiny chocolate wrapper and smoothing it obsessively until it all the wrinkles come out. The egg shape was a little tough because you have to have some of the gold leaf overlap itself and then it gets a little messy, but the smoothing process is sooooooooo worth it. I still need to smooth these guys a little more (!) and then apply a sealant, otherwise the leaf is pretty flaky.

I blew the eggs out without any tools which involved a lot of huffing and puffing and Baby Banana (week 20!) was probably wondering what the heck was going on. I went ahead and ordered an egg blower today because I foresee not being able to crack many of Kateski's eggs and/or the need to continue on this gilding path (if I stick with eggs, that should keep me from gilding everything else in the house).

Up next: I think I might play with some Wee Wonderfuls embroidery patterns because I'm starting to think baby blankets...

1 comment:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

GORGEOUS eggs!

Word verification is brompal which obviously is a new indigestion medicine.

made. by k.d.