Sunday, September 20, 2009

Elfkin Endeavors

I spent the afternoon on Saturday in my Dad's workshop, pretending I was one of Santa's elves. You know, the kind that make the toys for the Montessori school kids? In my ongoing quest to keep anything from China out of Stella's mouth, I purchased this book on making toys to develop a brainiac child. So great. Except that I don't know how to build stuff with wood. So, with the help of my Dad (which involved a little frustration...Dad's shouldn't teach their kids to drive or use power tools, it seems), I got started on these wooden beads and bead board. I'm still not very familiar with the ins and outs of using wood (my Dad was quick to correct me because I apparently sand all wrong), but I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the way it's turning out so far. It's definitely not perfect, but I'm learning as I go. So far my favorite tool is the drill press. There's something very satisfying about being able to drill a nice, even hole straight through the middle of something. And although it is definitely a little odd working with machines that could sever a limb, I'm getting used to it. I mean, I guess I could poke my eye out with a knitting needle if I really wasn't paying attention, but needle crafts just don't seem to keep my on my toes as much as woodworking does.

I'm going to use vegetable food dyes to color these beads and then seal them with linseed and beeswax and I am seriously excited for that part of the project. I'm trying to remember to KeepItSimpleStupid, but I want to avoid using just primary colors so some mixing will have to happen. I'll admit that I've considered getting out the woodburner, but I am going to avoid making some complex matching game out of these beads and just let them be basic and fun. I still have a few more beads to make though, so anything could happen...

No comments:

made. by k.d.