Tuesday, September 15, 2009

On Staying Home

So, I'm taking a big leap and staying home with The Bean this year. Financially, this makes no sense. Suze Orman would kick my ass if she ever found out (shhh). But in terms of what I know is the right thing to do and for what is in my heart, I know that we will make it work. I look at this baby who is now 15 weeks old and I know that I am nowhere near ready to leave her. She's just started smiling and laughing is not far behind. There is a personality starting to peek out, and I'm not going to miss a minute of it. The thought that I would have had to leave her 10 weeks ago if I wasn't in academia takes my breath away. I feel so sorry that there are so many families in our country that can't afford to have a parent at home during this time, and I wish we would get it together and realize that 6 weeks is not enough time.

But I am lucky that we can make this happen. And so I've been channeling my inner 1950's cooking/cleaning/child-rearing self and loving every minute of it. Stella has basically no idea what's going on, but I love doing things with her and explaining what's around her. For instance, she's already been to two zoos. It's never too early to introduce a child to a bearded dragon, I say.

So this will be a year of simplifying. It will be a time for me to really use the fabric stash, yarn stash, paper stash, and general hoard-o-rama I have going on up in that craft room. Really. I'm going to buy materials that I must have to finish a project, but otherwise use what I've got (OK, I've already totally broken this rule with the purchase of a jelly roll and book of patterns, but I'm going to try to be better I swear). I am going to clean out my fridge and cabinets and not let so much food go to waste (I am really terrible about this). And you know what? Although I have only been home alone for a week or so, I'm finding that I have more time to think about how to be more mindful of using what we have as creatively as possible - - whereas when I'm working, I'm often so frazzled that I don't have any time to plan accordingly. Veggies go bad, I purchase doubles of craft items I already had but forgot about. I swear, living in a house with both people working is like being on a ship with no one at the helm. I mean no disrespect to all of the women who paved the way for me to be able to have a career and a vote and all that, but man, I am really OK with being home. So again, lucky lucky me. I'm going to squeeze everything I can out of this year.

So here is a snapshot of a good stay-at-home moment that The Bean and I shared with Grandpa last week: driving out to the farm where we get our pastured meats and dairy, we passed a farmer setting up a stand of corn on the side of the road. We made a note and were sure to stop on the way home. I love the fact that I live close enough to places where farmers leave their veggies on the side of the road with a box for money. Three cheers for the honor system! We got our ridiculously sweet corn for a ridiculously low price and I'm still adding it to every meal we eat.

No comments:

made. by k.d.