Sunday, February 11, 2007

Newly Created


I just made a pin cushion! I've been tossing around the idea for a while. I thought maybe I'd make them Martha-style, because heaven knows I can never throw out a good mason jar. I really wanted a pin cushion that was attached to some sort of container for storage. I stumbled upon these wooden boxes, and this is the result. After many attempts at using different fabrics for the cushion that failed because the edges just ended up too puckered and uneven, I remembered my stash of felt. Woohoo! No seams to turn inside-out! I just love how crisp the lines created by felt are and I was compelled to use the circle to my advantage. I'll be posting this in the shop soon, so you can see more images there.

Yesterday I got my driver's license renewed and had to get a new photo. I must say that I am impressed with the DMV - I was in and out of there in no time; but the ever-present bureaucracy never ceases to amaze me. When I my number was called, I went to my assigned counter and sat in one of the two chairs there. The lovely DMV man motioned me to sit in the other (left most) chair. I obeyed and filled out all of the pertinent information (do I need to change my voter registration, am I an organ donor, etc.) I signed some piece of paper and then started fluffing my hair for my photo. I noticed the (still lovely) DMV man motioning to me again. I looked at him, uncertain. "Sit in the OTHER chair," he said. Ha! So I had to sit in the LEFT chair to fill out my information, but then move 12 inches to the right to sit in the OTHER chair for my photo. As I changed chairs, I tried to exchange a laugh with him about this, but he was not amused. I said "Come on, that's kinda funny..." at which point he answered an incoming call on his cell phone, told me that I could smile if I wanted, and snapped the photo. I didn't bother him with a retake. I'm wondering if the expedited license update process is, at least in part, due to this clever two-chair system they have goin' on...

And lastly, I sang at our school's annual talent show last night. I'm doing the normal kicking-myself-in-the-rear for mistakes I made that I'm sure no one else heard, but are still driving me crazy. Crafting is helping to take my mind off the instant replay:) I sang Isn't It Romantic and Lullabye [sic] with a small group, a beautiful little Appalachian folksy tune called Long Time Traveler as a trio, Case of You (Joni Mitchell) and Nothing In This World Can Stop Me Worryin' Bout That Girl (The Kinks) with my friend, Larry, on guitar. Afterword we got a pint at a local bar and saw a former student of ours who is now of legal drink age. Oof.

No comments:

made. by k.d.