Saturday, June 2, 2007

Fern fronds and yard sale finds


Today my father and I visited Morris Arboretum to attend a lecture on ferns. It was focused on hardy ferns that can survive in our area and was minimally informative, but still a fun way to spend the morning (also giving us some time to romp around in the arboretum). I have a lot of shade and so I have a lot of ferns and I love them. They make the house feel so woodsy and magical. I got my heart set on Athyrium niponicum (Japanese Painted Fern) and ran out to the garden center to find one:Of course, I could JUST buy a fern so I also picked up a particular grey-leaved hosta that I have been coveting and a few other shade-loving plants. I actually went to two garden centers because the first didn't have any dill. My father, for the second year in a row, is growing dill which has become inhabited by swallowtail caterpillars (I'll try to remember to take a photo to show the next time I'm there.) I figure, if the swallowtails don't find my dill, I'll just eat it, but I am under STRICT orders from my father that I am not to abscond with any of his swallowtails. Meanie.I also managed to check out a small yard sale up the street from my parents' house. I found this sweet little hand painted ceramic bud vase and this great wool sweater which I'm going to try to felt and then sew into a bag. Hip hip hooray for the start of yard sale season!




No comments:

made. by k.d.